Sweet, mild-onion flavored chives are fresh top greens in the onion family of bulb vegetables. Its stiff, hollow, tubular leaves appear similar to that of onions, but smaller in diameter, and appear somewhat like grass from a distance.
- Energy 20 kcal
- Carbohydrates 4 g
- Fat 0 g
- Protein 2 g
Leek and Cannellini Bean Soup
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 cups chopped leeks
1 cup chopped carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup diced turnip
1/2 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon Veg Mixed Spice
6 cups chicken stock or water
1 1/2 (14-to 16-ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (about 2 1/2 cups)
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano cheese
- PeelIn a large pot, put 1/4 cup of the oil over high heat and heat until it shimmers. Add the leeks and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, turnip, and salt and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring the soup to a boil. Lower the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans and simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of Veg Mixed Spice and boil for another 3 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Sprinkle each portion with cheese and drizzle with a tablespoon of olive oil.