Balsamic Vinegar 2015
Balsamic Mixed Vegetable Roast
2 medium eggplants
2 teaspoons of salt, divided in half
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 pounds zucchini
3 large red onions
2 medium red bell peppers
2 medium yellow bell peppers
6 large heads of endive
Garnish: 4 sprigs fresh basil
- Place a layer of paper towels over a baking sheet. Arrange the eggplant in single layers and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Prepare vegetables. Unpeel eggplants and cut them crosswise into 1/4-inch thick rounds. Wash and dry zucchini, and cut on the bias into 1/4-inch rounds. Slice onions into 1/4-inch rounds. Core and seed red and yellow bell peppers, and cut into 3/4-inch squares. Core endive, after that half and quarter lengthwise.
- Whisk together the olive oil, vinegar, remaining salt, and pepper, and set aside.
- Divide the eggplant, zucchini, red onions, peppers, and endive between 2 large baking pans with sides. Gently toss the vegetables with 3/4 of the blended oil and vinegar. Place 1 baking sheet on the bottom oven rack and the second on the middle rack. Roast the vegetables for 15 to 20 minutes, turning them once and rotating the pans between the shelves after 10 minutes. The vegetables should be crisp to the bite when they are done.
- Arrange the vegetables in colorful bunches on round or oval platters, mixing together the different types of vegetables. Sprinkle the vegetables with salt and pepper, and drizzle them with the remaining olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing. Serve at room temperature.