4 anchovies in oil, from sustainable sources
½ a lemon
½ a bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley
½ a bunch of fresh chives
1 dried red chilli
4 large free-range eggs
2 round lettuces
1 red chicory
1 white chicory
1 x 20 g punnet cress
- Halve the anchovies lengthways, then place in a bowl with 1 tablespoon of the anchovy oil, the lemon zest and juice.
- Pick the parsley leaves, then finely chop along with the chives. Add a little to the bowl.
- In another bowl, peel and crush the garlic, then whisk together with the remaining salad cream ingredients. Season to taste and set aside.
- Make a chilli salt by bashing the chilli and 3 tablespoons of sea salt in a pestle and mortar. Set aside.
- Boil the eggs in salted water for about 6 minutes, refresh in cold water until cool enough to handle, then peel each egg and set aside.
- Pick the inner leaves of the round lettuces. Finely slice the chicory bases, and separate the leaves. Arrange on a serving platter.
- Scatter over the remaining chopped parsley and chives, snip over the cress, then halve the eggs and place on top.
- Sprinkle over some chilli salt and divide the anchovies between the eggs, drizzling over a little of the anchovy marinade too. Serve with the salad cream on the side – so simple, so delicious.