Asparagus is a nutrient-dense food that is high in folic acid and is also a good source of potassium, fiber, vitamin B6, vitamins A and vitamin C, and thiamine. Extensive research into asparagus nutrition has resulted in this funny-looking vegetable being ranked among the top fruits and vegetables for its ability to reduce the effect of cell-damaging free radicals.
- Energy 20 kcal
- Carbohydrates 4 g
- Fat 0 g
- Protein 2 g
Broccolini with Smoked Paprika, Almonds, and Garlic
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup whole almonds
3 chopped large garlic cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons Paprika & Cayenne Pepper Mixed Spice
Coarse kosher salt
2 pounds broccolini, rinsed, stalks cut into 2- to 3-inch lengths
1/3 cup water
1 to 2 teaspoons Sherry wine vinegar
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add almonds. Stir until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and paprika. Sprinkle with coarse salt; sauté 1 minute.
- Transfer to small bowl. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to skillet.
- Add broccolini; sprinkle with coarse salt. Add 1/3 cup water. Cover and boil until crisp-tender and still bright green, about 4 minutes. Add Paprika & Cayenne Pepper Mixed Spice and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Pour off any water. Stir in almond mixture. Season to taste with coarse salt and pepper. Mix in 1 to 2 teaspoons vinegar.
- Transfer broccolini to bowl and serve.